The general assembly meeting for the Qatar Swimming Association (QSA) was held on 6th December, 2017 at Lusail Hall in the Qatar Olympic Committee (QOC). At the very beginning, Mr. Khaleel Al Jabir, Association President, welcomed the members of the general assembly, and representatives of the Sports Affairs Administration. He also welcomed Mr. Ahmed Yousif Al Saie, former president of QAS, Honorary Vice President of the Asian Swimming Federation (ASF), and Honorary President of the Arab Swimming Federation. In addition, he greeted Mr. Ali Al Jabir, former Secretary General and the former board members. Mr. Khaleel Al-Jabir thanked the heads of bodies at the Qatari Clubs that practise swimming for the obvious effort and the constructive cooperation with QSA to develop swimming in Qatar. The clubs are the main partner in the activities or championships organized by the association.
At the beginning, minutes of the last meeting were approved.
Mr. Al Jabir said “Hard work is needed to invest and create the proper method to develop the athletes. We have a plan to achieve excellence in sport through investment, tourism, environment, community participation and administrative performance.
Mr. Al-Jabir talked about the most important achievements for 2017:
- First place in the 14th Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Swimming Championship (25 m.) held from 1 to 4 March 2017.
- Organizing the annual open water championship in cooperation with Al thakhira, Youth Center (Librtha Festival) on 28/4/2017. About 200 athletes (males and females ) took part in this event.
- Participation in organizing Samla Championship in which 300 athletes took part.
- Organizing the International Life Saving Course with participation of 60 lifesavers (males and females).
- Organizing summer activity for the QOC employees, and ministries with participation of 250 children.
- Organizing the “Be an Athlete” Program in cooperation with QOC and The Ministry of Education and Higher Education.
- Organizing the international course for swimming coaches in which 50 coaches took part (May 2017).
- Representing Qatar in 17th FINA World Championships Budapest (14 -30 July). The main aim of participation was to familiarize with holding such championships, acquiring skills and gaining experience for development.
- Achieving 3 different medals (gold – silver – bronze) in diving, 9th Asian Age Group Championship, Tashkent, Uzbekistan from 6-12 September.
- Unique hosting for the FINA/Airweave Swimming World Cup 2017 (25 m.) for the sixth consecutive year, 4-5 October, 2017.
- Winning the best association award.
Mr. Al-Jabir added that the upcoming aims were:
- Increasing numbers of swimmers through the logo of “Swimming for All”
- Qualifying for the Youth Olympic Games Buenos Aires 2018 and Tokyo 2020.
- Hosting two international championships during 2018.
- Renewal the contract to host FINA/Airweave Swimming World Cup for four years 2018 - 2020.
- Working to increase number of swimming pools.
- Preparing to host World Aquatics Championship 2023.
Mr. Al Jabir talked about representing Qatar in Gulf, Arab, and Asian federations:
- Mr. Khaleel Al-Jabir, president of QSA, is a board member of International Swimming Association (FINA) 2017-2020.
- Mr. Khaleel Al-Jabir is the Vice President of the Asian Federation for West Asia.
- Mr. Talal Al Darwish, Secretary General, was elected as a member of organizing committee of GCC.
- Mr. Mohamed Al Sheeb, Executive Director, was chosen as a member of the coaches committee, FINA.
- Mr. Mohamed Al Sheeb is an international lecturer at the International Life Saving Federation (ILS).
- Mr. Mohamed Al Sheeb, was chosen as a member of the technical committee at the Arab Swimming Federation (October, 2017).
- Mr. Abdullah Al Mahmoud is an international lecturer at the ILS.
- Mr. Abdullah Al Mahmoud was chosen as a member of technical committee, Asian Swimming Federation.
Mr. Al-Jabir listened to the clubs representatives’ suggestions and inquires which were about developing swimming, then he answered the questions. Finally a short film about the QSA’s achievements in 2017 was shown.